Crisis in Venezuela
Join us to stand with Venezuelans in their fight for survival.
Learn how you can engage your church by clicking below.
Living Truth Special Series
Tearfund Canada has partnered up with the Living Truth, Peoples Church, and Latin American Missions to address the critical crisis in Venezuela and display God’s love to the millions who are flooding Colombia.
As part of the response, Living Truth has produced a 3-part special series on the crisis being aired November 3, 10, and 17. We encourage your church to watch how God is using His church – ordinary men and women – in Venezuela to show love and compassion.
Over the past 5 years, Venezuelans have seen their quality of life deteriorate to previously unthinkable levels. In this once wealthy nation, today, almost 90% of the population lives in poverty. The root cause is inflation. “Our money has turned into monopoly money.”
Starvation & Malnutrition
Hyperinflation has made the cost of food skyrocket. Hunger is wide-spread, and deaths from malnutrition is on the rise. One of the most popular items in the shops now is chicken skin, “we used to give them away for pets,” said one butcher, shaking his head. “Now people seek them out.”
- Venezuela’s inflation rate has skyrocketed 53 million percent since 2016
- 9 out of 10 people are trapped in starvation
- 64% of people have lost 25 lbs, on average, due to malnutrition
- 5.3 million people are expected to flee the country by the end of 2019
- Two thirds of Venezuelans have experienced either water shortages, or total loss of water. “I’ve seen crowds collect water around leaking sewage pipes to drink and bathe.”
- Doctors are saying that they are seeing an uptick in cases of diarrhea, typhoid and hepatitis A.
The UN estimates that four million people have already left Venezuela, fleeing hyperinflation, violence and scarcity of medicine and food as the country descends deeper into catastrophic collapse. The exodus may exceed 8 million by the end of 2020, which would make it the largest migration crisis in the world.
Videos on the Crisis
Tearfund Canada is a Christian relief charity committed to the highest standards. We work within the following networks to ensure we deliver aid in an accountable and transparent manner to those who need it most.